Thursday, April 14, 2011

Things that have helped:

I hope this will be a list that is added to by myself and maybe by viewers, but here's a beginning list of things that have helped:

-Asking the doctor for help in writing. This seems to make them take an extra moment to consider whether or not there might be a problem.

-Request an IEP evaluation. These are free and you either walk away with peace of mind that everything is fine, or you walk away with help. Either way, things are better when it's over.

-Look for a support group, even if it's only online. Sometimes just knowing that someone else has gone through the same thing makes things feel a little less crazy. On top of that they often have good ideas because they've gone through the same things. I'm a fan of meetup.com, but there are many other places to look, and even a google search can go a long way.

-Ask everyone what services they have found helpful. From the other parents in your child's class to the counselor to people in your support group, sometimes there are programs that are a perfect fit that you may never have even heard of.

-Find an outlet. Blog, or talk to a counselor or call a few trusted friends, paint, journal or jog. Whatever does it for you...we all need a pressure release valve!

-Find a professional you trust. If you think they're not paying attention or just are uncomforable with their approach, ask for a second opinion/a switch of providers.

-Read. Books can be pricey, and taking an out of control child through the library is definitely one of the circles of hell. The public library here can be accessed online from home and you can place holds on any book you choose. This lets me pop in, grab all the books I wanted, and leave in less than 3 minutes. I also check amazon.com for book reviews to see which books might be the most helpful.

-Treasure the good moments. It's the "I love you mommy" and the silly running around pretending to be a dinosaur moments that make all the others bearable. Try to revel in those moments.

-Give yourself credit. This is HARD work. I know I fall into the trap of comparing myself to other mommies and wondering why she manages to get her nails done and throw a perfect dinner party while still baking cupcakes for the bake sale. Well, my life is different from hers. My children are safe, clean, played with and loved. I'm doing ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment